Monday-Friday 7:30am to 3:45pm
Closed weekends, official holidays and other posted times
In response to the elevated Ohio Public Health Advisory System alert level, we will be closed to walk-in traffic starting Monday, July 20th.
How to get a birth or death record during this time:
- Mail the application for birth and death records to the Athens City-County Health Department at 278 W. Union Street, Athens, OH 45701. Please include a completed application and $22.00 cash (exact change) or money order in envelope.
- Place the application in our drop box located at our front entrance. When using our drop box, please place completed application and $22.00 cash (exact change) or money order in envelope. Certificates will be sent back out via mail.
- The Vital Statistics Department can provide you with certified copies of birth for those occurring in the State of Ohio or death certificates for those occurring in Athens County from 1909 to the present
- Register all births, deaths, and fetal deaths occurring in Athens County
- Issues burial permits
- Completes "Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavits"
- Home births
- Corrections to birth and death records using an affidavit
- Genealogy/record verification searches as time allows
- Money orders
- Business checks only
If you are unable to physically come into our office, you may request your certificate by mail. Please send the completed form provided along with a money order to the following mailing address:
Athens City-County Health Department
278 West Union Street
Athens, OH 45701
Certificates Application Form
Ohio Department of Health - Vital Statistics
Ohio History Connection